Downtown Orlando Celebrates a Holiday Tradition with Jack Kazanzas Christmas Star
It’s up and shining over downtown Orlando’s Orange Avenue!
Video with resident of Jim Barrett:
The tradition of raising the 600-pound golden star started in the 1950s when two competing department stores, Ivey’s on the east and Dickson & Ives on the west of Orange Avenue, joined together in 1955 to hang the Christmas star between the two. In 1984, after the department stores had closed, Jack Kazanzas, a lifelong resident of Orlando, led a campaign to raise funds to replace the original Christmas Star that had fallen into disrepair.
For more information on holiday events in the City of Orlando visit cityoforlando.net/holiday
Cool photo @ http://instagram.com/p/Tfrv5-LZCZ/