(check back for our Top5)
February 8-10, 2013, the City of Apopka will host Old Florida Outdoor Festival, at Apopka Amphitheater, 3710 Jason Dwelley Parkway, Apopka. The event highlights the outdoor lifestyle in Apopka and surrounding areas through a number of exhibits:
· Shooting Sports- presented by Shoot Straight, gun manufacturers Smith & Wesson, Benelli, and Beretta send their top exhibition shooters, Jerry Miculek, Tim Bradley, and Travis Mears, respectively to put on shooting demonstrations.
· Dock Dogs Competition- the Festival, which is pet-friendly, also has a nationally sanctioned dog jumping competition.
· BBQ Cook Off- touting the largest cash prize in Florida of $20,000, the Festival will host a Florida BBQ Association Cook Off on Saturday, February 9.
· Ducks Unlimited State Duck Calling Contest- the World qualifying contest will be held on Festival grounds Sunday of the event, from 11am-2pm.
· Hunting & Fishing Seminars- local captains and guides will host seminars on everything from Lady Angling, to Cobia Fishing, to No Motor Zone Fishing, to Gator Hunting and more!
· Highwaymen Display- the area’s largest gathering of Highwaymen artists brings the original artists to town with a collection of original work, as well as new paintings for sale, and even a live painting demonstration.
· Animal Exhibits- animals from around the world are available to feed, a Harris Hawk will hold 3 flights per day, and the Apopka Police Department’s Canine Unit will also hold a demo. In addition, FWC will have educational displays, as well.
· Concerts- Friday night, national recording group Lonestar performs a kick-off concert. Saturday night, Gary Allan, country artist, performs his latest hits on the Apopka Amphitheater stage.
· Chili Cook Off- unlimited chili tasting during Sunday’s chili cook off, which benefits Adam Stratton Memorial Scholarship Foundation.
· Farmer’s Market- meet local food & foliage purveyors at the Festival’s farmer’s market.
· Food Trucks- 10 food trucks and 15 other food vendors will be on site to feed the family.
· Kid’s Area- climb a rock wall, learn to cast, play in the bounce house, or check out the kids tent with face painting and a variety of children’s exhibits.
In the event’s first year in 2012, roughly 20,000 people came through the gates. This year, with more exhibits, attendance is anticipated to jump. Tickets start at $10, and are available online and at a number of Apopka area locations.