The City of Orlando is Calling for Artists, Designers and Fashionistas
The City of Orlando is seeking local fashion designers and artists to create innovative wearable looks made from materials that would otherwise be headed to the landfill or recycling facility. The designs will featured at the Trash2Trends runway event, a fundraiser for Keep Orlando Beautiful, that seeks to bring the fashion and art world together with the environmental community to promote and inspire sustainability.
A panel of local celebrity judges will choose winners in four different categories: Top Design, Avante Garde, Most Wearable and Audience Choice.
WHEN: Monday, November 4, 2013- Applications to participate in Trash2Trends are due and Wednesday, November 6, 2013- Selected designers will be notifie . The Big show is Saturday, February 1, 2014- Trash2Trends Fashion Fundraiser
More information will be provided upon artist selection.
- Be wildly creative. Make wearable fashion from discarded items. Stretch your thinking about how fashion can be more sustainable.
- Materials must be “trash” items headed to the landfill or recycling facility.
- Binding techniques such as sewing, glue, tape and wire are allowed.
- Materials can be written on, printed on, painted on, dyed, manipulated, etc.
- Zippers, buttons, fasteners are permitted.
- If your fashion includes accessories (bags, hats, belts, etc.) they must follow the guidelines as well.
- Consider the “wearability” of your look when a model is wearing it and walking down a runway.
- Your design will have width limits, which will be provided in the design criteria sheet upon selection.
- Consider answering the following questions when submitting the application:
- Briefly describe your experience in design and why you’re interested in this event.
- Include a sketch or describe a possible look you are thinking about for this event.
- Send any photos of your work via e-mail or with your application.