On January 28, 2014, during the groundbreaking of the rebuild for the new Citrus Bowl it was announced that Tinker Field will be destroyed.
Big baseball players have been here, Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson also the stadium also played host to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1964.
Feeling inspired by this A truly historic place you really need to read “Why Tinker Field Is Worth Saving”.
Named after Joe Tinker (Read more)
Outside baseball, Tinker Field has been the scene of many community and entertainment events:
- 1928: an athletic charity event to benefit an African-American hospital
- 1935: 10,000 attended a barbecue honoring Florida Governor David Sholtz
- 1935: The Orlando Festival included 20 Central and South American countries participating in elaborate pageants for “the entertainment of Winter visitors”.
- Over the years, concerts from Marilyn Manson to the Beach Boys.
- 2011-2013: The venue for Electric Daisy Carnival Orlando, an electronic music festival.
“Orlando will demolish historic Tinker Field and rebuild it next door”Orlando Sentinel reports. Story here.