Orlando recently received thousands of enthusiastic fans to the Orange County Convention Center for the annual event known as… MegaCon! MegaConvention is a Sci-Fi/Comic Convention that is held in Orlando, and is considered to be “The Southeast’s premier Comic book, Anime,Sci-fi/Fantsy and multimedia event.” This year’s three day event took place from April 10-12.
MegaCon offers a variety of options for guest to enjoy which includes a main exhibition hall where guest can look and shop for merchandise, artwork, and more. There are also a variety of panels to take in, photo opportunities, and autographs with guest celebs.
This years guest celebrities included the likes of Marvel icon Stan Lee, The Walking Dead’s Norman Reedus, Doctor Who’s Karen Gillan, The Princess Bride’s Cary Elwes, and many more.
Alongside the main attractions, MegaCon also is host to the Indie Film Expo hosted by program chairman 3 Boys Productions. Each year the MegaCon Indie Film Expo showcases short independent films in fan favorite genres of: action, animation, anime, comedy, horror, romance, super-hero, science fiction, suspense, and zombie. This year’s selected films included:
500 Miles to Taco Bell directed by Lear Bunda
Alfred directed by Den of Wolves Productions
Fur Real directed by Nicole Machon
It Waits directed by Robert Massetti
M-Theory directed by TL Westgate
Memory directed by Steven Shea featuring Summer Day Rescue
Losers directed by Carlos del Rosario
The Sky Ship Chronicles directed by Christian Christian Cashmir
Stronger directed by Steven Shea featuring Prita Chhabra
Tech Squad directed by TL Westgate
Along with the Expo there was also a Film panel held the following day which featured invited guest filmmakers, actors, and entertainers including Prita Chhabra (Stronger), TL Westgate (M Theory, Tech Squad), HorrorDirector Robert J. Massetti (It Waits), Frankie Paul Morrell (comedian), Brian Pulido (the Graves), Todd Thompson (The Highwaymen, Woman in Motion), our own Jen Vargas (TechSquad, Women in Film & Television Florida) and other surprise industry guests.
Overall MegaCon is a grand experience for those who enjoy these kind of events. The only draw back is the large number of crowds that occupy the venue making it hard sometimes to navigate around. This aside, MegaCon is an event that I thoroughly enjoy participating in each year and will continue to attend in the future.
My Top 5 reasons to attend MegaCon:
1) Meet and Greets with some of your Favorite TV stars (past and present)
2) Merchandise! MegaCon is one of the best places to find exclusive merchandise that is sure to please the most loyalist of Geekdom (I mean that in the most positive way possible!)
3) Films and panels! Tired of shopping?! Then have a seat and check out a few short films or listen to some of the Media Guest about life on the set of a popular show.
4) The After Parties! The fun doesn’t end when the exhibition hall closes for the day! MegaCon offers some fun After hours events as well!
5) Cosplay! Love dressing up or watching others dress up? Then MegaCon is the place for you, with its hordes of costumed fans you will have hours of people watching checking out how creative some of them can be!
If you happen to be in the Central Florida area in early Spring, take moment and check out what all the hype is about for yourself and let us know what you think!