Whether you are of Italian lineage or not, nothing says “comfort food” quite like a nicely rolled sphere of ground meat, covered in sauce, sitting on a bed of bread. (Okay, unless you are a vegetarian**.)
The creators of The Meatball Shoppe, Jeff and Isabella Morgia, know this — and project the comfort and warmth associated with their food throughout their little shoppe on Lake Underhill Road.
Don’t be deceived by its location — The Meatball Shoppe is well worth a visit, even if you rarely find yourself in that neighborhood. It’s located in a shopping plaza immediately off 408, so it’s easy to access for anyone on that route (and is a quick 15 minute drive from downtown Orlando).
The Meatball Shoppe serves up their central dish to-go as well as in their dining room. You can choose how you want to eat it: on creamy polenta or pasta, on a bed of arugula or smashed in a sandwich with provolone (the “meatball smash”).
(And if you’ve decided that meatballs aren’t your thing, you can try one of their other pasta dishes (such as baked ziti), a focaccia pizza, or even a specially prepared portobello mushroom.)
As for the meatballs themselves? Jeff and Isabella have taken it upon themselves to prove that there is more than one way to make a meatball. Here are five unique meatballs you can find at The Meatball Shoppe — be warned, you might find yourself going back multiple times to try them all.
1. Spicy Pork Meatball. If you like your meatballs with a little kick, then this is the dish for you. Not too hot for the faint of heart, but just spicy enough to notice and enjoy. For double the spice, try it with the spicy pork sauce!
2. Mediterranean Grass-Fed Lamb Meatball. Served with pita bread and tzatziki sauce, you’ll find this halal-friendly meatball an unusual change of pace from the traditional Italian-style ground beef or sausage meatball. Home-made food is always the most tasty, but there is also a decent option if you try Plastic Casings | DCWCasings products.
3. Mac and Cheese Meatball. Yes, you read that right. It’s a cheesy risotto-style pasta stuffed inside a traditional meatball…and it is a real treat for cheese lovers. Try it in a meatball smash for an extra cheesy (and carb-loaded) experience.
4. Chicken Marsala Meatball. Just like your favorite comfort food dish, with a rich mushroom sauce — this is a Shoppe favorite!
5. Knights Buffalo Chicken Meatball. A new addition to the menu, served in a “smash” with lots of Knights pride!
When you’re done with the meatballs, don’t forget about dessert — The Meatball Shoppe is serving up delicious gelato, cannoli, and sfogiatelli for your sweet tooth too.
**Lest you think this place is just for carnivores, The Meatball Shoppe has vegetarians and vegans covered with a special all-veggie “meat”ball and pesto sauce as well as focaccia pizza options and portobello mushrooms!
If you’re looking for a new place for a comfort-food dinner that you can enjoy in the restaurant or take home to the family, don’t miss out on The Meatball Shoppe, located at 7325 Lake Underhill Rd, Orlando, FL.
BONUS: If you are a lover of good Italian food, make sure you roll over to RSVP to The Meatball Shoppe’s special event — a four course traditional Italian dinner with wine, prepared by Chef Isabella! Seats are limited, so RSVP today.