Now that we’ve all emerged safely on the other side of our turkey comas and the madness that is Black Friday shopping, the holidays are in full swing here in Central Florida. In Mount Dora, we have a holiday calendar packed with activities.
Tonight kicks off the 33rd Annual Light Up Mount Dora, a much-loved event that transforms downtown Mount Dora into a winter wonderland, with over 2 million lights! Festivities start at 5:30 this afternoon, with the official “lighting up” happening at about 6:30. And if you do come, keep in mind that today is also Small Business Saturday. Why not come early and find that perfect Christmas gift at one of Mount Dora’s many shops? The downtown area recently completed a massive streetscape project, so the whole town looks better than ever.
Not to mention the massive singing Christmas tree near the corner of Fourth & Alexander, near Sunset Park, which really has to be seen to be believed.
The lights of course stay up through the holiday season, so if you’re not able to make it tonight, take a look at the calendar of events and come experience the holidays in Mount Dora for yourself! It’s well worth the short drive from Orlando. Some of our favorite events include:
- The Lighted Boat Parade on Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. on Lake Dora. Best places to view this parade are on Grantham Point (by the lighthouse) and Evans Park. This also gives you a great excuse to stroll down to the marina and see the amazing light show!
- The Mount Dora Christmas Walk, Friday, December 4, 2015 starting at 6:00 p.m.
- The 56th Annual Mount Dora Christmas parade on Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.
- Christmas in the Park with Snow on Saturday, December 12, 2015. This gives you the chance to go sledding (yes, SLEDDING!) down the big hill in Donnelly Park. This is a popular event with both kids and adults every year.
The holidays in Florida are unique: we don’t make a lot of snowmen, and it’s usually too warm outside for hot chocolate. Whether you string lights on your palm trees and lawn flamingos, or crank up the AC so you can wear your favorite ugly sweater, there are still plenty of ways to get into the holiday spirit. Enjoy this most wonderful time of the year!
(All photos courtesy of Morgan H. Lee, www.realfloridaphoto.com)
Throughout this historic community, the streets come alive with more than 400 talented crafters & artists from all over the country displaying and offering for sale their finest works to the more than 250,000 visitors who are expected to attend this two-day event. Plus there’s food and entertainment to round out a perfect day outdoors. This is one of Central Florida’s favorite festivals and what a perfect time of the year to host a craft fair with the cooler weather and the holidays just around the corner.
The Mount Dora Craft Fair is a top ranked event featuring an eclectic mix of arts and crafts from sculptures to ceramics to paintings to woodworking, and more, providing you with the opportunity to find unique gifts for you or for those on your holiday list. And with all of the crowds in the streets, it’s a perfect time to shop along the resident stores.
By City Ordinance, PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED at City Sponsored “Special” events. Please make arrangements for your pets before arrival.
Join us for a 3-day weekend with multiple routes, festivities, and excitement galore. From a friendly ghost ride to crushing hill climbs, and fourteen routes to choose from, you are sure to find what you are looking for in beautiful Mount Dora.
- A Mount Dora Bicycle Festival T-shirt
- Sunday Bar-B-Q Lunch
- Rest Stops
- Light Breakfast
- Vendor Village
- Beer / Wine Garden (Saturday)
- and More!
Check in: Thursday, Oct 8, 5-7pm
Mingle at: Pisces Rising, 5-9pm (Oct 8)
- Oct 9 06:00 AM EDT – Check-in – 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Oct 9 06:00 AM EDT – Breakfast (chamber) 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Oct 9 06:00 AM EDT – Vendor Village – 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Oct 9 07:30 AM EDT – Rides Begin
- Oct 9 06:00 PM EDT – Ghost Rides – 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Oct 10 06:00 AM EDT – Vendor Village – 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Oct 10 06:00 AM EDT – Breakfast (chamber) 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Oct 10 06:00 AM EDT – Check-In 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Oct 10 07:00 AM EDT – Rides Begin
- Oct 10 01:00 PM EDT – Contest, Speakers – 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Oct 11 06:00 AM EDT – Check-In 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Oct 11 06:00 AM EDT – Breakfast (chamber) 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Oct 11 06:00 AM EDT – Vendor Village – 6:00 a.m. to noon
- Oct 11 07:00 AM EDT – Rides Begin
- Oct 11 11:00 AM EDT – BBQ Lunch – 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
August 15th & 16th, 2014 you can meet the artists in person at the two-day show and sale in the Historic Donnelly House.
Florida’s historic landscape artists, known as The Florida Highwaymen, will be returning to picturesque Mount Dora for the 15th HIGHWAYMEN ART Show and Sale.
On Saturday & Sunday August 15th & 16th, the popular Highwaymen artists will return to Mount Dora and display sell their art work from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day inside and outside of the Historic Donnelly House. Visitors can enjoy the scenic renderings of Florida’s landscape expressed in the Classic Highwaymen art style. Participating in this event will be original Highwaymen; Al Black, James Gibson, Isaac Knight, Robert Lewis and Roy McLendon. Admission, as before, is FREE!!
This Winter Art Event is presented by Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast, with co-sponsoring by the Mount Dora Area Chamber of Commerce and Visit Mount Dora(tm); and sponsored in part by: City of Mount Dora, Grand Rental Station – WhatToDoInMountDora.com – Glasscat Design – Printing provided by Lake County, Florida. Margie Salyer and Randy Burgener are coordinating this Highwaymen Show and Sale.
A portion of the proceeds go to the Mount Dora Area Chamber of Commerce and to Visit Mount Dora, Inc.
For additional information, please contact Randy Burgener by calling (352) 383-4050 or Toll Free at 1-888-437-6622. For lodging and other information please visit HeronCay.com.
(407) 836-VOTE (8683)
Cruisin for St. Jude Poker Run. Lake County based family friendly motorcycle club Fallen Few will host its annual charity poker run. Starting at Lake County’s AmVets branch (32201 Amvets Way, Mt Dora, Florida). Kickstands up at 11a. Final stop is Corner Pub (1996 CR 452, Eustis, Florida). There will be numerous events and activities planned throughout the day including a blood drive, bike and car wash, bike contest, poker hands, raffles, along with plenty of music and food.
For more information check out our post on the event.