We love selfies! We love seeing YOUR selfies!
If you’re walking in tomorrow’s HUGE Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Orlando walk in Downtown Orlando, we KNOW we’ll see thousands of them! Expected attendance will be – get this – *at least* 60,000 people. It will be a literal SEA OF PINK, all for a great cause! The buzz on their Yelp Orlando event page is…
Put on your pink, grab some friends and join Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Orlando Presented by Lexus of Orlando at Lake Eola on Saturday, October 25th, 2014! Over 50,000 attended last year’s walk and we’re expecting even more new friends in the fight this year! Interested in volunteering or starting a team? Register for FREE at www.orlandostrides.com! Are you a breast cancer Survivor? Please make sure to register before the walk so we can save a space for your in our Survivor VIP Tent! Many goodies and surprises await…
EXCLUSIVE NEWS: A little Twitter birdie told us Orlando Strides will attempt to take the Ultimate #StridesSelfie minutes before the walk begins at 9am. Will they be able to fit all 60,000 walkers in ONE PHOTO?! We’re not sure but we can’t wait to see them try!
Some of the MANY things happening at tomorrow’s MSABC walk:
- Lake Eola’s Fountain will be PINK!
- Free refreshments from Athena Water, Starbucks, FreshPoint Produce, Dole (no DoleWhips?!) and more
- Full Sail will have their own endstage setup near the start line
- Give ‘Til It Rocks will have some AMAZING talent playing live, sprinkled throughout the 5k walk
- All breast cancer Survivors will have a special VIP tent sponsored by Morgan and Morgan with a great view
- Vanessa Echols from Channel 9 WFTV and Dana Taylor from Mix 105.1 will emcee
- Lexus of Orlando will have a PINK car (and a few others) on display
- Look for the big Florida Blue tent for another selfie opportunity using the hashtag #HereFor___!
- We’ve heard a rumor too that Orlando Solar Bears‘ Shades may attend… [Update: CONFIRMED RUMOR!!]
- Strides is not a race but you can keep up with your walk on MapMyRun/MapMyFitness, RunKeeper and Endomondo
AFTER THE WALK: At Noon, Musician Keith Lay will present “Distance Music” at Lake Eola. His YouTube Channel explains ‘Distance Music’ as, “A new kind of musical experience that creates a sonic sculpture in a 23 acre lake. The audience to walks around it to view it with their ears. WIth 30 musicians, 14 boat people and 7 train horns!” Like Making Strides, this event is also FREE and (obviously) open to the public.
SAVE THE DATE for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Orlando’s VIP Party on November 11th, from 6-8pm at Lexus of Orlando!
Each year, 1.2 million Americans will suffer a coronary attack and 700,000 will have a stroke. In Central Florida, over 4,200 deaths are caused a year due to a cardiovascular issue. By adopting a lifestyle of physical activity, individuals can reduce their healthcare costs, increase their productivity and improve their overall quality of life and longevity.
WHAT: Saturday, Sept. 6, an estimated 20,000 participants are expected to attend the Greater Orlando Heart Walk to benefit the lifesaving work of the American Heart Association. Walkers will unite to create hope, inspire change and celebrate at the University of Central Florida at Memory Mall.
WHO: Combining fitness and philanthropy, this annual walk brings together over 100 local corporate sponsors, walk teams, individual walkers, survivors of heart disease and stroke and lifestyle change heroes who are all taking steps toward a healthier lifestyle while raising funds to combat heart disease and stroke, the No. 1 and No. 4 leading killers, respectively, of American men and women.
Speakers and special guests include:
- Heart disease and stroke survivors of all ages, lifestyle change award winners
- Sportacus, LazyTown’s very own athletic, super-active SuperHero, SHADES from the Solar Bears and UCF’s own Knightro
- Cardiologists, medical professionals and high-level community volunteers
- The Fox Sports Florida Girls — Jordana and Annilie
- Emcees: Jayme King, FOX 35, Dana Taylor, Mix 105.1, Rick Stacy, Sunny 105.9 and Dustin Kross, AMP Radio 101.9
WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 6 – Festivities (giveaways, entertainment, a tribute to survivors, pre-walk warm-up and more!) start at 7 a.m., Walk Kick-off at 8 a.m. at the University of Central Florida at Memory Mall – 4000 Central Florida Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32816. (It is best to arrive before 7:30 a.m. to avoid road closures and difficulty parking.) Mini-show by Sportacus at 9:15am, immediately followed by hands-only CPR training that will continue until crowds die down, or around 10 a.m.